Validity and age limits
- Children under 16 years of age travel at the child rate
- Passengers aged 16-64 years travel at the adult rate
- Passengers aged 67 years and over and those receiving state pensions travel at the rate for seniors
Adults and seniors can take two children (under 12) free of charge.
A paying child can take one child (under 12) free of charge.
Children travelling free of charge with a paying passenger must board and get off the bus, Letbanen or Midtjyske Jernbaner train at the same time as the adult.
Children and seniors must be able to produce documentation showing their date of birth in order to be able to travel at either child rates or senior rates.
Updated 15 March 2022
You must be able to produce documentation showing your age, for example your health card, ID card etc. if the staff so request. If you are unable to document your age, and the sales staff are in doubt about how old you are, they are entitled to issue tickets/cards at adult rates.
If you receive a state pension, you must take relevant documentation with you when travelling. The documentation must be max. one year old, and can be one of the following:
- Your most recent pension payment letter (udbetalingsbrev) (issued annually)
- Your most recent pension payment advice slip (udbetalingsmeddelelse) (issued monthly)
- A completed form from the municipality showing your name, Danish personal ID (CPR no.) and stamp of the municipality
- DSB ID card
Updated 15 March 2022
You can travel on your ticket or card and change between bus, Letbanen or Midtjyske Jernbaner trains within the time period and the number of zones stated on the ticket or card. The length of time for which a ticket or card is valid is based on the number of zones.
No. of zones
1 hour and 15 min.
1 hour and 30 min.
1 hour and 45 min.
1 hour and 55 min.
2 hours and 5 min.
2 hours and 15 min.
If you travel further than eight zones, the validity period increases by 10 minutes for each zone.
The validity period is shown on the ticket or card.
You can extend the validity period of tickets and cards by purchasing an excess fare.
For example, if you buy one extra zone for a three-zone card, you can travel in four zones altogether in one tariff area for 1 hour and 30 minutes. In connection with excess fares, the validity period is calculated from the earliest stated time on the ticket or card and the total number of zones. In other words, if it says 13:00 on the ticket or card, but it says 13:15 on the excess fare, and you are travelling in four zones, then you can travel until 14:30.
You must have started the last leg of your journey before the end of the validity period. *)You are free to switch between bus, Letbanen or Midtjyske Jernbaner on the same journey and route within the zone(s) and time period for which the ticket or card is valid. The time of boarding is calculated from the scheduled departure time. In other words, you can start your journey on the same ticket or card even if the bus, Letbanen or Midtjyske Jernbaner train is delayed if the scheduled departure time is within the validity period.
* When travelling on Rejsekort, you must conclude your journey (check out) before the end of the validity period. If exceeded, you will be charged for the number of zones for which the total travel time equates to. For example, a two-zone journey is concluded after 1 hour and 10 minutes, and therefore you will be charged for three zones.
Special rules for the City of Aarhus
Single trip ticket:
If you are travelling in the City of Aarhus (zones 301-313) on a single trip ticket, the following applies:
- If you buy your ticket in a yellow city bus, the validity period is 2 hours. In other words, you must get off the bus or Letbanen no later than the time that is stamped on the ticket.
- If you buy your ticket on a blue regional bus, at a Rejsekort ticket machine on a Letbanen platform or at a ticket machine at a railway station, the regional rules for validity periods apply. This means, among other things, that the validity period depends on the number of zones purchased. You must commence the last leg of your journey before your ticket expires (the expiry time is stated on the ticket).
Multi-trip tickets in the Midttrafik app:
If you are travelling in the City of Aarhus (zones 301-313), a trip in the Midttrafik app is valid for 2 hours and 15 minutes (2 hours as for a normal ticket plus 15 minutes to cover the time it takes to purchase the mobile ticket before boarding). You must have completed your journey before the end of the validity period. For example, if your ticket expires at 10:00, you must alight by 10:00 at the latest.
Updated 18 March 2018